Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What Should Kids Know?

In my rabbit-trail hopping adventures today, I linked to the Aspen Institute's Aspen Ideas Festival 2011 (AIF), which is going on as I write this. AIF is not just about Education--it's goal is to "engage its participants in a variety of programs, tutorials, seminars and discussion events that together are guaranteed to charge the atmosphere with vibrant intellectual exchange." The website has live streaming of sessions, along with videos you can watch of sessions that have already occurred. When I saw the video title, "What Should Kids Know?" it caught my attention. I thought, "Finally, someone is asking the foundational question we should be answering to truly reform education." Well, someone might have asked it, but unfortunately the prestigious panel didn't even get close to answering it, in my humble opinion.


Perhaps it was this "distinguished panel," that was the issue. The panel was made up of people who have something invested in the way learning has been done, rather than a stake in what it could be. A Duke University professor, a supreme court judge, an educator/administrator from the International Baccalaureate program, etc. I have to admit, I didn't listen to the whole thing. I did listen to most of it, but when I heard comments that suggested that many schools no longer have the traditional set up of desks with teachers lecturing (really?), and that our model should be a public charter in New York where the kids go to school from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, then return for more on Saturday (and they were happy doing it, too!)--well, let's just say I threw up a little in my mouth.


It's true, however, that we need discussion, even from people with whom I disagree. Part of what's important--after we answer "what should kids know?"--is remembering that there will be MANY different correct responses on "how should they learn what they need to know?" 




No comments:

Post a Comment