Saturday, June 25, 2011

Learning About Education Reform

I have always been passionate about education reform, but I was living another life until recently. After 20 years in corporate training and communications, I gave up a successful consulting career to determine "what's next" for me. In that time, I have been participating in Toastmasters and getting a few articles published online. I attend a wonderful women's writing group, called Wise Women Write (tm) led by the amazing and talented Diane Owens, and get inspiration from her and the lovely women writers she's assembled.

I also have two teenage sons, ages 14 and 17, who have not had an easy time working their way through school. They are both incredibly smart and talented, and other than the oldest struggling with a moderate case of ADHD, it hasn't been due to learning disabilities. Of course, as their mother, I blame myself. Part of it was the wonderful foundation they got in Montessori, and part of it is the parenting style my husband and I have chosen, which is a less structured and control-oriented than the norm. Their academic challenges were exacerbated when we moved to Phoenix, Arizona from Seattle, Washington five years ago.

In the five years we have lived in Arizona, the boys have attended five different schools, including charter, public, private, and online schools. All in an effort to find a learning environment that would capitalize on their strengths (and not diminish them for their weaknesses--in fact, an environment that would actually support and improve their weaknesses would be ideal!). We're not there yet.

I know I am not alone in my struggles. It is no longer just kids who have learning differences or poor and minority students that are not getting their needs met in the education system. I know plenty of middle and upper class white kids that can't seem to get their needs met, either. While I am thrilled that as a nation we are FINALLY focusing on our antiquated education system, I am far from thrilled about the role that corporate America is playing in education reform, the emphasis on high-stakes testing and more seat time, and blaming teachers. All of this has prompted me to learn more about where we are with education reform and figure out what I can do about it.

My dear friend and mentor, Paul Evanson, suggested I begin blogging about my experience learning about education reform, because what I am finding is that things are moving along in many exciting directions! People are fighting for school choice. People are speaking out against high-stakes testing. People are promoting democratic learning environments. It's been exhilarating to learn about all the good education stuff that's going on in our nation. It's also a little sticky.

It's hard to figure out the "good guys" from the "bad guys." There are a lot of agendas going on out there and sometimes it's difficult to figure out where the money is coming from and what an organization's goal really is. As a political Independent, having lived in both blue and red states, I am striving to find and support organizations who are legitimately working to meet the needs of our kids, regardless of their political leaning. If the political agenda is more important than their work for kids, then you'll hear about it from me.

The purpose of this blog is simply for me to share what I am learning. I'll post book reviews, links to websites, blogs, and articles, and, I'm sure, share my own opinions and insights along the way. It might be interesting for you to learn along with me. I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic, Dana. There is so much information out there it can be overwhelming. Some of the "reform" seems to be change only for change sake instead of doing what is best for students. Love that you have started this new chapter - I will be following your journey closely!!

    ReplyDelete