Sunday, July 10, 2011

More Learning Time?

As I listen to the education reform discussion, there seems to be a lot of talk of late around extended hours or extended learning time. Tom Vander Ark has a recent Huffington Post article on "How to Double Learning Time." While I generally agree with Mr. Vander Ark, I have to admit the title makes me bristle.

He's not the only one. I just responded to a Facebook post yesterday (and I've seen many more to which I've not responded) asking the question, "how do we keep kids learning over the summer?" Before I can listen to these questions without feeling the hair on the back of my neck rise, I'd have to see a couple of changes.

First, a break from the traditional school schedule. In Mr. Vander Ark's article, I liked that he was talking about integrating resources like elearning and afterschool programs. As homeschooles have proven, school (or structured learning) doesn't have to be eight hours or more per day. Actually, I would propose that it is not. I'd like to see us get out of the 8-3 box we are in and look at what's best for kids bodies, minds and spirits.

Secondly, if we move toward a competency-based, individualized learning system, then the structure may look different for different kids--especially as they get into their middle and high school years. If a child is interested in cooking, perhaps they intern with a chef part of the week, or participate in an engineering contest if they're into science, or work on a community garden if they like biology and gardening. The more applied learning we can offer, the better off we'll be.

Technology also means that learning doesn't have to take place at school. In my corporate experience, blended learning works best when learners have an opportunity to do the "knowledge-imparting," technology based work at their own pace and according to their own schedule. Then, when we come together for classroom work, everyone has a level of knowledge that makes the interactive work more productive and enriching. Blended learning in schools (especially, again, in the upper grades) should function in the same way. If I walk into a a school and see one more "computer lab" I think I'll cry.

I don't mind the idea of "more learning time," as long as the "learning" we are discussing is not all structured learning. Much of the best learning takes place when it's not framed as "learning" at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment